Our three-shoe rule for holiday packing
By Michaela Longstaff, Mikko Shoes founder
If you love your footwear (much like all of us do at Mikko Shoes NZ), packing for a holiday can be at once exciting and a challenge!
It’s hard to play favourites with all of our beautiful footwear options, so today we thought we’d share a few tips to ensure you’re covered for a variety of summer breaks. Using the ‘three-shoe rule’ ensures you won’t have the unnecessary weight that comes with accidentally over-packing (and we’re all guilty of it!).
We have selected three types of holiday break and listed the only three shoes you’ll need to pack.
What to pack for… a Resort Holiday
1. A casual sandal. Choosing a sandal with a supportive footbed and soft leather straps is a great option for sightseeing or a low-key dinner. The Waltham by Wonders ticks all boxes and has memory gel insoles which makes them a dream to wear.
2. A lightweight sneaker. Lightweight or perforated breathable footwear options are ideal for warmer climates, and a beautifully made sneaker looks great with everything from dresses to tailored shorts. Skycrest by Hispanitas features crisp white leather for everyday polish and is ultra-comfortable for exploring.
3. A dressy sandal. Choose a block heel or wedge for a feminine edge. The classic espadrille, like Keeley by Kanna, is a versatile option – perfect with skirts, shorts, trousers and relaxed resort attire.What to pack for… A Weekend in the City
1. A sleek sneaker. Choose something versatile with added interest to elevate any casual look, like the chic Joanette platform by Gabor with sweet ribbon laces. A great fail-safe option for changeable weather – pairing well with both jeans and a midi-length dresses.
2. A dressy slingback sandal. Taking you from dinner to the theatre, or any kind of special event in style, we love the Etta by Evaluna, in its divine on-trend pastel tone.
3. A classic ballet flat or loafer. Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn with either of these elegant silhouettes that will keep you covered for a variety of occasions. Our choice is Cipriana by Arche. Pro-tip, they’re also great for shopping days, with their easy slip-on-slip off style.
What to pack for… The Beach House
1. A white sneaker. Whether you’re planning to visit the local market, catch up with friends or have lunch at a nearby winery, a sleek white leather sneaker will go the distance. Spanish brand Camper, new to Mikko this season, have a range of sleek sneakers, with the Novia style proving a popular choice.
2. A pair of dress flats. Pairing beautifully with capris or tapered pants, this is the ideal shoe for an evening out, creating an elegant, yet effortless look. Egerton by Evaluna offers hand pleated leather detailing for unmistakable class.
3. A versatile sports loafer. Elevate even the simplest of outfits with the sense of polish that a classic loafer always brings, without compromising on comfort. We can’t go past Stamos by Spanish brand Hispanitas for this fabulous hybrid style.
Above all, there is nothing worse than having sore feet impede a holiday, so whatever your travel plans, remember to purchase anything new a few weeks in advance, giving yourself enough time to wear them in.
If you’ve shopped at Mikko before, you’ll know that to us, comfort is paramount. Luckily, all our European, artisan-made shoes are curated with wearability and quality top of mind!
Wherever you’ll be spending it this year, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season, and look forward to helping you in store find all your summer footwear needs.
Have a great summer.
Michaela and the team at Mikko
In 2013 we launched Mikko Shoes to offer an extensive range of European hand selected and handcrafted quality shoes for New Zealand women that want style and comfort in their footwear. More than just a stockist of stylish shoes that will go the distance, our team at Mikko are professionally trained in fitting and styling, ready to help you find your perfect pair. We have footwear that is orthotic and wide feet friendly. Mikko is a New Zealand, family-owned business.
Enjoy free shipping with all online orders of $100 or more! Read more about how it works on our website here.
Like our Facebook and Instagram page to see the latest European styles as they land in NZ and be the first to know about our regular competitions. Visit one of our 5 stores to experience the Mikko difference or shop online, and for our new Men’s offering, pop over to Mikko Men’s!
Share this article on your own social pages by clicking the links below.